Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

I never wore the uniform, so I have no battle scars;
I never faced an enemy, and I earned no warrior’s stars;
I didn’t set aside my own dreams to serve others in that way,
So I can’t really claim to know the price they had to pay.

“No greater love can ever be” a Bible verse relates,
“Than one lay down his life for his brother” His word further states;
Willing to risk one’s life so that others may live free,
Is just what many others have done to give a better life to me.

Yet daily as I go through life, the time I spend is rare,
To consider what it’s meant to me, how little I seem to care;
That other s died that I might live, enjoying a land so free,
I must never forget the price they paid – no, that must never be.

And somehow in our Lord’s great plan, all this was meant to be,
Though I myself, a mortal man, need clearer eyes to see;
How war and suffering do not hinder our God’s perfect plan,
I seek to trust the One whose ways surpass the ways of man.

 I can and must give thanks to God for those who served and died,
As well as for those still here today, all those who have survived;
Reveal your love to us, Dear Lord, give all fresh eyes to see,
That freedom and life with you as Lord is how it’s meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment